COM Antenna’s & ARINC Shelf

Time: 4 Hours

I made it out to the hangar today for a few hours to work on the COM antenna placement. I wanted to jump ahead to this task so I could know where exactly I could place the shelf I would make for housing the ARINC module. This module will convert signals from a certified GPS, like the Garmin 650, to the Dynon Skyview system. I had an idea of where I wanted to place this shelf inside the bay where the #1 COM antennae will be. So decided to start with the shelf. My idea was to keep it as low as possible to the floor so as to remain clear if the rudder cables. I planned on using some 1/2″ x 3/4″ angle with a piece of 0.040″ sheet on top with the ends bent down to give me a place to rivet it to the angles. I gave myself extra space with the size to make sure I had the correct spacing for the attachment hardware. I drilled all the river holes and clecko’ed it all together. 

   I moved onto the COM antenna’s for the two COM radios. I had bought these two antennas at Oshkosh this year.  I was lucky enough to have my buddy Glenn put his wings on his RV-8 so that we could finalize the exact placement of our antennas so that they didn’t interfere with the flaps.  Since I had that new measurement I laid out where I want to drill the holes.  I used my step bit and drilled a half inch hole for both antennas. I used the rivet lines of the bottom skin to create a centerline that I could use as a reference to make sure the antennas were straight with the centerline of the fuselage. I made a mark on the leading edge and trailing edge of the antenna base to line up with the line I put on the skin. With the antenna in place him in line I drilled the four holes for the attachment hardware.  I clecko’ed the antennas in place after all the holes were drilled. 
   I decided to take a break from these tasks and work on a little bit of electrical but I have been thinking about. I needed to cut the Skyview network cable that runs from the ADHARS to the network hub in the avionics Bay. I made the measurements and made the cut. This was my first time working with D-Sub connectors. Over all I was happy with how the first one came out and how it looked.  

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *