Time: 8 Hours
Today started all the match drilling of the gear towers. There are a lot if holes and it takes a while to hit every one. I then grabbed the countersink to hit one rivet hole on each tower. These holes are under the edge of a bracket that get riveted later. I have read where guys have missed this step and have to drill out later.
Like the change in rudder pedals for the pilot I added the option for the rear seat rudder pedals. I knew that the bracket will get bolted to the gear towers so I grabbed that bag and looked at the instructions. It’s nice to read ahead as these normally get added later as an after thought and you have to drill in a tight spot. I’m able to drill the matching hole with everything apart which makes it a ton easier. Here is what the bracket looks like installed with one hole that they provide. You have to drill the second by using the existing holes.
As with everything else after you get it all together you take it all apart to deburr all the holes, scuff, clean and primer.
I spent the next several hours scuffing and cleaning the right side tower and started the priming on those parts. In between the coats of the primer I started the dismantling deburring of the left side. I finished priming both sides and let them dry for an hour while I ran to do an errand. When I got back I started the riveting on the right side. I did all the rivets I could do with the pneumatic squeezer since it was getting into the evening and didn’t want to bother my neighbors with the rivet gun. I also riveted all the nutplates on for the access plate.