Leading Edges Done

Time: 6 Hours

I was able to repeat the process from the other day on the right wing leading edge. Once I had both leading edges in place on their spars I brought out the #40 reamer and hit every hole to match drill them. The rear flanges of the ribs that connect to the web of the main spars needed a #30 drill. Due to those holes being close to the main rib webs I decided to use my 12″ #30 bit so I could bend it and not scrape the ribs. That process took a little while due to all of those holes. Once done I removed the leading edges to clean up the drill shavings and then reinstalled them. That a theme with this project! Install and uninstall and install! With the main bottom skins reinstalled I was able to extend those lines I made to find the center point of the tie down bracket. Once I had those lined up I removed the main skins and put them back on the shelves. I then removed the leading edges and laid them flat on the workbench so I could drill them to final size with my unibit.


20131120-180821.jpgIt’s hard to tell in that last photo but the hole was pretty close! The nice thing is that the tie downs that I bought from Cleaveland Tool cove the hole completely and make for a very nice finish!

20131120-181014.jpgThe next step is the fuel tanks! I probably won’t get started on those for a week or so since next week is Thanksgiving holiday and I will be spending it with my kiddos and amazing girlfriend! 😉

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *